A Government that stands up for our interests – that protects our NHS, secures good green jobs and makes the UK accountable for its role in the climate crisis – is winnable.
We need to act now to get the Labour party to commit to our vision for the future – a transformative Green New Deal. That’s why we’re ramping up our campaign by sitting outside the offices of Labour MPs every Friday and staying there – until they meet with us and back our 5 demands.
Check out our map of sit-outs and join the one nearest you:
These sit outs will run each Friday until party conference starts in September – or until Labour agree to our demands.
Don’t see a sit-out for your Labour MP? Speak to our team and pledge to organise one yourself! We can help with recruitment and support you through the process, step by step.
Why are we targeting Labour?
This year, activists with Green New Deal Rising are turning up the heat on Labour. We think that Labour will hold the balance of power at the next general election and we want their manifesto to be full of robust and ambitious climate policy.
This year Labour have been backsliding on their climate commitments under the smallest pressure from the fossil fuel industry and the rightwing press. We cannot allow this to continue. There can be no more broken promises.
What we do now will have huge implications for future generations, and our ability to tackle the climate crisis.
So we have five policy demands of the Labour Party:
- Tax Wealth Now. We need to tax wealth and capital at the same rate as income to fix inequality. Ensure that health, education and other public services are properly funded.
- Expand Public Ownership. We need to bring fundamental public services into public ownership, expanding public ownership into water and energy.
- Promise a Green Jobs Guarantee and a secure income for all. Every single person who wants a job in the green economy should be able to get one. And our social security system needs to provide a secure income so that everyone is taken care of.
- Enact a National Nature Service. Give communities a right to access nature and create tens of thousands of jobs protecting and restoring our land.
- Make Polluters Pay. The UK must do its global fair share to tackle the climate crisis. We can build its capacity to do so through a permanent and progressive windfall tax.
To win, we need to turn up the heat on Labour, pushing them to be bold and back a Green New Deal.
That means showing up outside their offices on Friday every week, until they hear our demands.
Can’t make it to a sit out this week? Take 1 minute right now and sign our petition on these demands instead!
Want to get involved in a different campaign?
Don’t worry – there’s loads to get involved in! Join our next welcome call to hear the plan and how you can be a part of it.